Pour over is an elegant, delicate and clean method for brewing filter coffee, it accentuates the sweetness of well roasted coffee and allows more control of the extraction. We recommend the Hario V60 dripper as we feel it produces the cleanest cup.
You will need:
- Freshly ground coffee
- Kettle & water
- Hario V60 dripper
- Hario filter paper
- Mug or carafe
- Weigh out 15g of beans and grind on a medium coarse grind setting
- Fold the hem of the paper filter back on itself to create a perfect cone. Place it in the pour over cone and rinse the paper with about 2-3 cups of hot water so it is totally wet and translucent. Rinsing properly removes any papery taints from the cup.
- Pour the ground coffee into the centre of your freshly-rinsed filter cone so it creates an even bed, ready for pouring.
- Start timer, add 50g of water and agitate slurry by gently stirring a teaspoon through extraction bed a couple of times.
- At 30 seconds, add 100g of hot water to the coffee bed, pouring slowly from the kettle in a circular motion.
- Then, at 1 minute, add 100g more water in a slow circular motion. Once all the water has been added, stir around the edge of the slurry with a spoon.
- Aim for a total brew time around 2:00 – 2:30